Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sweet little lies

These are pieces from a series assigned in AFND 101: Introduction to Drawing I, in which we were to consider and incorporate three influences that inform and/or inspire our work and process. I finally narrowed my subject matter down to Froot Loops, men's fashion magazines, and Cold War-era anxieties. The works exude a sense of humor and charm true to the pop-art tradition (paper doll clothing tabs, sugary cereal "enlarged to show detail"), but my real interest is in our consumer culture: glamour, fantasy, deception, sex, fetish, apocalypse. (I mounted these pieces on the kitchen cabinets of our apartment to digitally photograph them -- sincere apologies to Vermeer for obscuring his masterpieces.) Charcoal (vine and compressed), Sumi ink, pastels, paper collage.




3 comments:

  1. I like the brief explosion (to make a pun). ;-)

    I'd wear those ... well ... ok maybe not me. I'd enjoy those on another person of sexier physique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - it says Editor b/c this is the profile I use to edit the Community Chickens blog. Not because I'm a raging narcissist. Though, also not because I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff, Matthew. And why in hell am I not reading a Community Chickens blog? Address please?

    ReplyDelete