Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Incomplete

I am probably the slowest artist in the Art & Design building. I'm obsessed with fine, minute detail and careful rendering of surface texture (sometimes at the expense of any given composition's overall impact). Such was the case on Monday during a still life exercise for AFND 102: Intro. to Drawing II. We were instructed to black out a large sheet of drawing paper with compressed charcoal, and then render a bundle of cloth suspended from the ceiling using erasers (though reapplication of charcoal was permitted to deepen dark values). As you will observe, I did not complete the exercise during the allotted time in class. Furthermore, I snapped this photograph with the crummy camera built into my cell phone. Still, I think this result demonstrates my progress as a technician since I started coursework in KU's Visual Art Dept. -- simultaneously suggesting the vastness of all I've yet to learn and achieve.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you recognize your technical progress. I remember reading in a book about van gogh (maybe it was in Dear Theo, in the letters he wrote to his brother), that he didn't allow himself to use colored paint for a long time. he worked on b/w sketches until he felt that he had mastered his design

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's great -- I love reading about artists and learning about their lives and process. I just read that memoir one of Picasso's wives wrote (and of course she's not just "one of Picasso's wives" -- she was an artist in her own right, among other things) called LIFE WITH PICASSO -- very revealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (But. . .yeah -- I think one of the many blessings about being in this program is that it has forced me to _slow_down_ and really consider some elemental formal and technical issues -- which will, in turn, of course inform the more ambitious and oh-so-grandiose ideas I have (and the lesser ones, too!)).

    ReplyDelete